Wednesday, September 25, 2013

My first book review...

DukeDuke by Kirby Larson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was looking forward to reading this book when it came out so I was really excited to be able to preview it for Netgalley. This was a historical fiction book about World War II, something that I have been quite in love with lately. There are so many aspects to that war that I was completely unaware of and this book was about yet another...Dogs for Defense. This is a great book about an 11 year old boy and his dog, their family, friends and life during the war. I was very surprised at how much kids were expected to 'help with the war effort' from small things like collecting cans for money, to large things like giving up your best friend so he could help in the war. I knew going in that this book was about a boy who gave up his dog but it was still sad to me in spots, and there were other emotional surprises as well, but there was humor, joy and 'real' humanity as well and I really loved it. I can't wait to share with the boys (and girls) at my school because I think they would really like it and also be able to see life in a different way as well.

View all my reviews ">

No comments:

Post a Comment