Friday, February 19, 2016

just a few nonfiction picture book favorites

This past fall I did the Picture book 10 for 10 and it helped get me back into blogging... 
So, after seeing the posts on Twitter this week I was reminded about the Nonfiction 10 for 10! Of course it totally helps that I've read some AMAZING Nonfiction picture books in the last few months too. These are in no particular order...and yes...there are a LOT of picture book biographies. If nonfiction had been written like this when I was younger I think I would have been more likely to pick them up.
Finding Winnie by Lindsay Mattick and illustrated by Sophie Blackall
Like just about everybody else in the kidlit world, I love this book!  I read it to 21 classes last week and I still get chills every time we find out who the little boy who visits the bear in the zoo is.
Drum Dream Girl: How One Girl's Courage Changed Music by Margarita Engle
The story is so powerful and the images and color so beautiful!
Just love it!
I'm Trying to Love Spiders by Bethany Barton
My big, strong husband HATES spiders! So of course I had to grab this book from the library when I saw it...HILARIOUS!!
Ivan: The Remarkable True Story of the Shopping Mall Gorilla
by Katherine Applegate
I adore The One and Only Ivan and when I discovered that it is based on a real gorilla I had to read more and this book is perfect!
Swan: The Life and Dance of Anna Pavlova by Laurel Snyder illustrated by Julie Morstad. Absolutely breathtaking and heartbreaking story of the famous ballerina.
Water Is Water: A Book About the Water Cycle
by Miranda Paul  illustrated by Jason
Chin. Gorgeous illustrations and the story is simple and basic.
The House That Jane Built: A Story About Jane Addams by Tanya Lee Stone.
When I was little my parents bought my sisters and I the "Value Tales" books and I always remembered the story of Jane Addams.
 Enormous Smallness: A Story of E. E. Cummings
by Matthew Burgess illustrated by Kris Di Giacomo
I didn't know very much going in to this book but I loved it! The illustrations and the quotes and the story...all of it. Just beautiful.
Emmanuel's Dream: The True Story of Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah
by Laurie Ann Thompson illustrated by Sean Qualls. Absolutely amazing story of how one man changed his life and the lives of others.
A Chicken Followed me Home by Robin Page
We are in our 3rd year of raising chickens and this would have been a great addition when we got them! :) This book has great info and bright and bold illustrations.
I'm having serious technical difficulties with pictures today, so if you click the titles you will be taken to Goodreads and you can see them there. Sorry about that :-(

4 comments:

  1. You have some really good ones on this list! I'm particularly fond of Finding Winnie, Swan, and Water is Water. Stone's book is new to me. I've heard of it, but haven't read it yet. MUST get my hands on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great collection! My third graders picked Finding Winnie for the Caldecott and were delighted by the win. We also just read Emmanuel's Dream this week, and Water is Water is one of my new favorites. My top 10 features Picture Book Biographies of Diverse Artists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emmanuel's Dream was also on my list. I love many of these titles. You have been reading some incredible titles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good list. Emmanuel's Dream is new which I'll look for. Thanks.
    Tammy
    Apples with Many Seeds

    ReplyDelete